Abeyta Photography

22 May 2011

Beer at the Doheny Blues Festival

If you are looking for great beer, the Doheny Blues Festival isn't the best place to go.  Out in the main areas where vendors for clothing, goods, food and drinks were, the only choices were Coors and Blue Moon.   Now Coors I drank when i was a kid (I was legal at 18 for the 3.2% version) growing up in Colorado.  And Blue Moon, although good, isn't something I want to drink a lot of.  However, if you go hunting a bit, you will find the brew sampling area. 


Although not ideal, you can find the beers that you want to drink.  For $10, you get three chips.  In exchange for a chip, you get a 4 oz cup of any number of 12 different brews.  Now, that works out to just under $1 per ounce . . . yeah, that is pretty expensive, but during a hot day, and without many options, the economic theory of Supply and Demand take over.


Now, I didn't try too many varieties because on a couple of samplings, I found my keepers. The first one was Rogue Ales' Dead Guy Ale. It was dark but not too heavy and cold and refreshing. An American German Maibock, it was quite freshing.



My next keeper, and the winner of the rest of my chips, was Evans Premium Lager.  I spent quite a bit of time talking to Evan's team.  A dedicated group that spun Evan's story quite well.  Justin, the cool cat of the team, talked about how Evan's brews are from an American Company, brewed in Mexico, but are crafted from a German recipe and use Czech yeast.  Now that is a true international effort.


I tried A LOT of the Original.  It looked great and was easy to go down.   It was too bad that they couldn't serve up full bottles all at once . . . i felt kind of like a beggar having to go back time and again with my chip and empty cup in hand.  But each time i went back, Justin and the rest of the crew were eager to fill me up.


Evan has started from the ground to brew this beer and he seems to be doing a fabulous job promoting his product.  If you go to his website, you'll see his distribution plan.  Slowly but surely, he is making headway . . . especially considering he is his own distributor.  

Here is a picture of Justin and one of Evan's Angels. 
Evans Premium Lager at Doheny Blues Fest May 21, 2011 
Yeah, maybe she was another reason I was stuck on this brew!  

Check out their Facebook fan page by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment